"Nestle has been up right here in Nanjangudu in Mysore since 1988. And we are very positive about all of our experience so far to the extent that .... "
Mr. Christian Schimd
Nestle India Pvt.Ltd.
Present Scenario and Strengths:
Potentials and opportunities:
- Karnataka leads in the exports of silk in India accounting for approximately 25% of the total Indian export market.
- Karnataka is the leader in horticultural products and spices, aromatic and medicinal crops, and tropical fruits.
- Karnataka is the largest producer of coffee and cocoa in the country.
- It is also the second-largest milk producing state, and third and fourth largest producer of sugar and sugarcane respectively.
- It is the 5th largest producer of fruits in the country and the fourth largest producer of spices.
- Accounts for over 20% of floriculture production in India and is one of the largest producers of Cashew nut in India.
- The state is the second largest producer of flowers as well as the second largest producer of grapes in India.
- Strong input base: Agriculture & allied activities contributed 17% to GSDP in FY09
- Diverse competencies
- Leader in horticultural products and spices
- Only Indian State to have all varieties of fruit
- 320 km coastline with annual marine production of 425,000 MT of 276 fishes
- Increased production: Food processing sector attracted highest number of new units,146, compared to the state's other industries
- Export Growth
- Exports in Coffee have increased from US $ 147-million in 2004-05 to US $ 201-million in 2009-10
- Exports in Marine products & Spices grew by CAGR of 43% and 29%, respectively between 2004-05 and 2009-10
Main horticulture crops cultivated in the following districts of Karnataka .
Mango - Dharwad, Belgaum, Kolar.
Grapes - Bijapur, Bagalkot.
Pomegranate - Bijapur, Koppal, Gadag.
Lemon - Bijapur, Bagalkot.
Important Grape growing districts are Bangalore (U), Bangalore (R), Kolar, Bijapur, Bagalkot, Belgaum, Koppal and Gulbarga.
Marine Products - 320 km of long coastline.
Major Fishing centres: Mangalore, Malpe, Batkal, Karwar.